
As Paris Saint-Germain gears up for one of the most important matches in its history, defender Achraf Hakimi is dealing with a serious legal challenge away from football. The Moroccan international has formally asked the Versailles appeals court to dismiss the rape case filed against him, according to a source familiar with the proceedings.
The 27 year old finds himself balancing intense professional commitments with a legal process that could shape both his career and personal life. With the UEFA Champions League final just days away and the 2026 FIFA World Cup on the horizon, the timing of this latest development adds further pressure to an already demanding period.
Appeal Filed as Hakimi Pushes for Case to Be Dropped
Hakimi’s lawyers appeared before the appeals court on Friday, seeking to overturn an earlier judicial decision that allowed the case to move toward a full criminal trial.
The court has now reserved its decision and is expected to deliver a ruling on June 19, 2026. That date is significant, as it falls during the ongoing FIFA World Cup in North America, where Hakimi is expected to play a leading role for Morocco.
If the court rejects his request, the case will proceed, and a trial date will be scheduled. However, if the appeal succeeds, the charges could be dismissed or reduced, potentially bringing an end to a case that has been ongoing for more than three years.
Read more on: Ronaldo Ends Trophy Drought as Al Nassr Secure Saudi Pro League Title with 4-1 Win Over Damac
How the Case Began
The allegations date back to February 2023, when a 24 year old woman reported to police in the Val de Marne area near Paris that she had been sexually assaulted by the footballer.
According to accounts given to investigators at the time, the woman said she first connected with Hakimi through Instagram in January 2023. She later visited his residence in a taxi that was reportedly arranged by the player while his family was away.
The complainant alleged that Hakimi made unwanted advances, including kissing and touching her without consent, before raping her. She said she managed to push him away and contacted a friend, who came to pick her up.
Following the complaint, prosecutors in Nanterre opened an investigation. Hakimi was later formally charged and placed under judicial supervision, a legal status that allows authorities to impose certain restrictions while the case is ongoing.
In February 2026, prosecutors confirmed that the case had gathered enough grounds to proceed to a criminal trial, a decision that Hakimi’s legal team has been contesting ever since.
Defense Maintains Innocence
Hakimi has consistently denied all allegations, insisting that the claims against him are false. After prosecutors decided to send the case to trial earlier this year, he publicly stated that he was confident the truth would come out.
He expressed frustration with the process, suggesting that being accused alone should not be enough to justify a full trial when, in his view, the evidence does not support the claims.
His lawyer, Fanny Colin, has also been vocal in criticizing the prosecution’s case. While she did not comment directly on the latest appeal hearing, she has previously argued that the case lacks solid proof.
According to Colin, the accusation is based largely on the complainant’s account, which she claims was not supported by further investigation. She has alleged that the plaintiff refused to undergo medical examinations, declined DNA testing, and did not allow access to her mobile phone. She also stated that key witnesses were not identified.
Hakimi’s legal team has further suggested that the player may have been targeted in an attempted financial extortion scheme, though this claim has not been proven in court.
Read more on: Enrique Sets 2030 Retirement Goal Amid PSG Contract Extension Talks
Plaintiff’s Legal Team Stands Firm
On the other side, the lawyer representing the complainant, Rachel Flore Pardo, has welcomed the decision to move the case toward trial.
She has previously stated that the judicial process has been handled properly and emphasized the importance of allowing the case to be heard in full. Pardo also pointed to broader issues within professional football, arguing that the sport has not always made it easy for allegations of this nature to be addressed.
Her stance reflects a wider conversation about accountability and the challenges faced by victims in high profile cases, particularly those involving well known public figures.
Career Continues Amid Legal Uncertainty
Despite the seriousness of the case, Hakimi has remained active on the pitch. Paris Saint-Germain has continued to support the defender, maintaining that it trusts the legal system while standing by its player.
Hakimi is expected to start in the UEFA Champions League final on May 30, 2026, where PSG will face Arsenal in Budapest. The match is one of the biggest fixtures in European club football and could mark another milestone in the player’s career.
Shortly after the final, he is expected to join the Moroccan national team for the World Cup. Morocco will be looking to build on its historic run in 2022, when it became the first African and Arab nation to reach the semi finals.
The overlap between these major sporting events and the legal timeline means Hakimi will have to navigate both arenas simultaneously, with global attention focused on his performances and his case.
Read more on: Aston Villa Thrash Freiburg 3-0 to Seal Historic Europa League Triumph
Key Dates in the Case
- January 2023: Hakimi and the complainant reportedly make contact through Instagram
- February 2023: Allegations are reported to police and an investigation begins
- February 2026: Prosecutors confirm the case will go to trial
- May 22, 2026: Hakimi’s legal team files an appeal seeking dismissal
- May 30, 2026: PSG set to face Arsenal in the Champions League final
- June 19, 2026: Appeals court expected to deliver its ruling
What Happens Next
All eyes are now on the Versailles appeals court as it prepares to deliver its decision in June. The outcome will determine whether Hakimi faces a full trial or sees the case brought to an early close.
If the appeal is rejected, the legal process will continue, potentially leading to a high profile trial that could attract global attention. If successful, it would mark a major victory for the player and his legal team.
Until then, Hakimi remains in a difficult position, balancing the demands of elite football with the uncertainty of an ongoing legal battle. Both the sports world and the legal community will be watching closely as the situation develops.
Read more on:
- Arsenal, Manchester United, and Barcelona All Reject Move for Rafael Leao
- Arsenal Prepare Record-Breaking Deal to Make Arteta One of Football’s Highest-Paid Managers
- Chelsea Edge Tottenham at Stamford Bridge as Arsenal Are Crowned Champions
- City Stumble as Arsenal Crowned Champions After Vitality Draw With Bournemouth
